Published: February 3, 2011 by HarperCollins
Source: Received as a gift
Summary from Goodreads:
Before scientists found the cure, people thought love was a good thing.
They didn’t understand that once love -- the deliria -- blooms in your blood, there is no escaping its hold. Things are different now. Scientists are able to eradicate love, and the government demands that all citizens receive the cure upon turning eighteen. Lena Holoway has always looked forward to the day when she’ll be cured. A life without love is a life without pain: safe, measured, predictable, and happy.
But with ninety-five days left until her treatment, Lena does the unthinkable: She falls in love.
- Goodness, Oliver's writing is gorgeous.
- I like how much personality Hana has.
- Haha, Mrs. Tiddle!
- Looooove this quote!
- I really appreciate these snippets before each chapter from texts from their world.
- How are these descriptions so gorgeous????
- Lol RT girl, RT!
- Lol!! Lena's characterization right here is A+
- OH MY GOSH, THERE'S THE QUOTE!!!!!!!!
- ALEXXXX <3333 What a beautiful meeting <3
- Interesting family dynamics.
- Lena is such a real and relatable character.
- Oooh, homosexuality briefly addressed—nice worldbuilding!
- Wow, that's really really sad.
- I can't imagine dealing with just girls all the time. '
- Oh lord—not the good ol' “electrical shock” line.
- This sounds like such a boring existence.
- Girl, the whole world is NEVER on your side.
- Woah, twisted biblical history!
- What an accurate portrayal of graduation.
- I can't even imagine having such a detached family.
- I miss Alex when is he coming back?
- Lol—changing the meaning of the 4th of July. I love this subtle worldbuilding.
- What happened to the constitution in this world?
- I love how Oliver justifies the belief in the cure. It's actually believable.
- I like how often Oliver compares the people in this society to animals.
- Writing goals. Ugh. Perfect.
- That hurts my heart.
- How does Oliver balance such poetic writing with a believable teen voice?
- YAY ALEX!! <33
- I have the same reaction when it comes to flirting.
- Girl, you are very wrong.
- I love the symbolism!
- My heart is beating so fast—the tension!
- That actually hurts my heart.
- Aww, little Gracie <3
- It's so sad :(
- Lena is so relatable!
- Oh my gosh, these regulators are horrible. Not the dog!!
- Hah! I'm not sure how Lauren manages to slip in humor, but she does.
- OH SHIT!
- AlexAlexAlexAlexAlexAlexAlexAlex <3
- Nobody in the world has ever described attraction and lust this beautifully.
- Oh wow that foreshadowing tho
- Writing. So. Lovely.
- Alex trusts Lena so much. Oh my gosh <3
- I'M SWOONING.
- This is the best chapter in all of literature!
- Holy crap—my heart. It's starting to get emotional.
- I love how honest and sincere Alex and Lena's relationship is!
- OMGOMGOMGOMG I'M GONNA CRY
- Oh shit.
- That right there was such a big moment. Oliver really shows us the power of the cure right there.
- Oh my gosh the writing is so gorgeous!!!
- HECK YES GRACIE!
- Oh gosh, I just love Alex so much.
- Holy crap holy crap holycrapholycrapholycrap
- GO GO GO GO gogogogogogogogogog
All in all, this book is still amazing incredible perfect lovely stunning. I'm still utterly in love with this piece of art and I'm so glad I allowed myself to experience it again. This was just the book I needed to read. This book influenced my writing heaps, and that reminder was absolutely welcome. If you've not read this book yet, I encourage you to do so.
Even the second time around, I give this 5/5 (read: 284867390375646296/5)
P.S. - What do you think of this kind of post? Do you like it? Would you like to see more of these?